Call to speak to us now

College Packing List : Laptop, Twin Sheets (XL), and Medical Power of Attorney

Even though there is still a month until the unofficial end of summer, parents of college bound kids are busy shopping and packing for back to school. In addition the usual items (hello shower shoes), your child should also have a Power of Attorney and a Medical Power of Attorney. Even though you may consider your child still, well, a child, in the eyes of the law once your offspring turn 18, they are legal adults. This means that you have no more rights to information about them than would a stranger. This is particularly important if your child has a medical emergency while he or she is away. Under medical privacy laws, a hospital has no legal obligation to discuss your adult child’s medical condition with you, even if you are the parent.

The easiest way to make sure that you can help your child while they are away is to have them execute a Medical Power of Attorney and Durable Power of Attorney before they leave. The Medical Power of Attorney will allow you to discuss your child’s medical condition with any medical provider. The Durable Power of Attorney will allow you to step in for your child if they are unable to manage their affairs. Both documents can be prepared and signed in one appointment.

Contact us today to discuss a Medical Power of Attorney and Durable Power of Attorney for your college bound child, and we’ll help you get set up.